Cats with the bald or hairless coat are always attracting people’s attentions. For you who wish to have a cat that can never shed, this cat will make a good choice for you. Indeed, you will find them weird and bizarre yet the uniqueness is the beauty itself.
Secrets Of Hairless Cats
You may wonder how they can be completely hairless. In fact, they are not made to bald, but they actually are just born that way. It has nothing to do with any kind of disorder or illness.
Gene Causes Lack Of Fur
In cats, how much fur they have on their coat, is very much affected by their genetic nature. However, the fact about how dominant the gene is quite different from one breed to the others. It can be seen from a couple of cases here.
- Like in the case of Sphynx, to born a hairless kitten, both the parents must have a recessive gene or both should be hairless themselves. Interestingly, two parents with fur can actually produce hairless kittens if only their parents have recessive gene that is harbored to them.
- A dominant gene also decides baldness in Peterbald.
- Some cats are not completely hairless. They may have a shorter coat with a small amount of hairs and fuzz.
The List Hairless Cat Breed
- Sphynx cats or the Canadian Hairless
- Elf cats – a combination of Sphynx with American Curls
- Dwelf cats – a combination of Sphynx, American Curl and Munchkin cats
- Bambino cats – a combination of Sphynx with Munchkin cats
- Donskoy or “Don” cats
- Ukranian LeVoy – a combination Dons with Scottish Folds
- Peterbald cats – a combination of Dons with Siamese and Oriental cats
- Kohana cats or Hawaiian hairless
Caring For Your Hairless
They need to be bathed frequently and their skin should be given a good care since they get very oily.
Since their skin lacks protections from sun, rain, and wind, they should be kept indoors only.
This cat can get very oily, thus needs frequent baths. This will make their skin greasy and dry so it will be better to use baby shampoo or lotion to take care of their skin. Apply sunblock when you take them out in the sunny day and cover them with a sweater when the weather is cold.
They are prone to skin problems and are easily lose their body heat for the lack of hairs. Another illness, they are susceptible to being Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.